Fireworks as Art???


Fireworks as art!

As a young child my first frightful experience with fireworks was when my younger brother was walking down the hall at my Grandmother's house on Adger Road and he popped into his mouth what he thought was a piece of round candy.  Nope it was a round look alike, and when you throw it to the pavement it would POP! Bobby ended up at the emergency room, and for days could not eat or sleep.

Then, my best friend when I was I think 10, she was playing with a Sparkler, and her short top caught fire, and you might guess the rest.  I was there, and thus, following no more fireworks for me!

During my career past, had many occasions to learn about the negative effects of the sound and sights of fireworks.  Service members coming back from the deployment often came home unable to hear these sounds from the lighting of the fireworks.  It was too close to the sounds of multiple firing of the weapons and war.  A reminder, and coming home with PTS and often Secondary PTS (d)  to their children.  To describe the emotional effects and the burden that remained within the soul and spirit, is impossible.  Often just to walk with each was enough, and as a new friend or stranger in their lives, to make sure that we helped them find silence in their heart.  Being told once, that they found comfort in seeing tears in my eyes was astounding, as no way could have stopped from sharing tears.  Never sure it was enough

As I grew up and became a lover of American History, loved learning how John Adams in 1776,  made fireworks an important American Tradition.  "A great endeavor should be filled with "bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the therefrom this time forward, forever more."

Ok, America understand now.  However, no Sparklers for me, and I will keep my distance.  Yes, I will celebrate July 4th. God Bless America!

 So why now do I take 80 pictures of a fireworks display.  Seated about 20 feet away from the trailer that was shooting off a vast collection, looking up in the sky - art!  Thinking I must be tired,  leaned back and soon I was laying on the pavement, shooting upwards with my IPhone, and saw ART.  

Lots of Art in the sky, and began to appreciate the Fireworks designer as they assemble all the materials.  Wondering to myself, how they were able to create the bright lines, the stars within and then the amazing grouping of lines and stars.  So on my Facebook page, uploaded lots of Fireworks Art Photos and they are not edited - no Photoshop needed. 

Coming soon, as we head back into the school year, can't wait to upload these images on the IPads for the students to enjoy, then to encourage each to let their imaginations flow free,  write stories and make short films.

Fireworks as ART - 

Linda Dennis, July 4, 2022
























 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going off the grid ..sorta - hope to be back the end of March..

Now off the Grid...day 3 and 3506 words written

Two trips to the Grocery Store