Photos - Authenticate! Yes, I was here!

 

Not sure at the age of 2, I would have remembered my beloved Aunt Sarah placing me on the hood of a 1949 Chevy! The photo here I am most certain was taken for my Aunt too, as she really loved me and often was known to "spoil" her little niece.  This photo was placed in my 'Baby" book by my mother, Aunt Sarah's sister, and I treasure it. Yep, that was me - all grins, and standing on top of a car with my favorite Aunt, holding me tight.  Lots of subliminal messages in that photo as she continued though my life to always be there for me, until she lost her ability to take care of herself, and then I took over for her before she passed on. 

Sharing it now helps me speak to the importance of taking and archiving photos throughout the life of a child.  Photos record a person's growth and travels through life.  So a child is borne, the pictures show the baby, so what's next helps a child to gain a sense of self and their own personality in development.  "Yep, that was me hitting that home run!", or "Yep, me on the ship's walk, with my hat turned backwards.  I was goofy back then!".

To tell a child, photos are not important or no, you should not want them, they may collect dust? This type of conversation with a young child sends a negative message.  "You are not important! A clean house is more important than a photo of you or your friends having fun!"

What has been lost is their maturing sense of self as witnessed in a photo. Then there is the self awareness that comes from viewing a photo.  "hey that's me!'

Back to my Aunt Sarah.  There are many more photos in my collection of my growing years, and many with Aunt Sarah, and often with my Grandmother Mamie.  All black and white photos, some faded prints. Then a full book of black and white photos of family members.  

All family are now passed on, and by flipping through these photo books, my life unfolds in various ways. From sitting on the floor in my Nannie's kitchen dumping out a box of Morton's salt, to my first prom with a goofy boy, now retired on a boat in the Bahamas! 

So dear researcher and "shrinks" everywhere who advise often that Photos are really not necessary, a lot of disagreement here!

To those who follow their advise, and tell their children photos are not necessary and to NOT collect photos as they "Collect dust" and seem to be found everywhere?  So, here is to a perfect well-kept house called a neat home. Guarantee that one day - deep regret over not recording the life of the precious child that now is leaving for sights unknown, and not sure that they existed, friends or not?

Thank you Aunt Sarah, all my family, now all passed, and placed under the large oak tree in the Elmwood Cemetery for caring for me to capture my life in photos.  Sweet memories. 

Linda Dennis

December 20, 2021 - Reflecting now as we celebrate and approach Baby Jesus" birth.


 




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going off the grid ..sorta - hope to be back the end of March..

Now off the Grid...day 3 and 3506 words written

Two trips to the Grocery Store