Mama's Birthday - 96th year

 

Mama's Birthday is today, December 4.  She was borne December 4, 1925 in Blenheim, SC. Had she lived she would have been 96 years old.  Willie Jean Bruce was the middle child of three sisters.  Her older sister Sarah has long since gone, as is Margaret the youngest, when Mama passed. Both brothers passed also.  

The picture here is of her standing on the Myrtle Court Fountain during World War II - Columbia SC. She loved this picture and I share it now to honor her "Fun" side of her self.  Often missing as she grew old with life's challenges, but at one time she was the one with red lipstick, and high heels, and climbing on the edge of a fountain for a picture.  Reflections now bring bright joy to me and Mama wishing you a restful time now.

Willie Jean was borne right during the Depression, and within a few years, her beloved father died in a Model A car crash.  She often talked about him, reaching back for the only memories she had coming from stories from her Mother, Mamie Lee Bruce.  Her father had been a school superintendent in Marlboro County, SC, when Mamie Lee came to teach. That was about it of her memories.  So she grew up adoring her older brother, but missing a father. She often shared what a Christmas was to her, and it included fruit in a bowl, imagine that!  Food.  Makes one think does it not.  Mama and I talked often about that Christmas.

We found the details about our grandparents that brought a lot of smiles in  Mamie's family Bible. My Mama made sure I inherited it. Our beloved grandmother had kept within the pages, copies of their marriage certificate!  Can you imagine how the towns nearby in rural SC reacted, when a 25 year old teacher, married the 60 year old Superintendent!  Aghast!  Together they had 5 children, and then the Depression. I can only imagine the busy household!

Today, I have Mamie's Bible, and treasure her handwritten notes.  Within I have placed my own hand written notes of special moments that have brought joy to my life. Also, special hand made cards and special notes from beloved friends over time. The binding of Mamie's Bible is falling apart, and now I have archival wrap. Keeping together the Scripture, that I often look to - with Mamie's handwritten notes, and now my own.

Blessings to Mama and her Mother, Mamie.  You both made such a difference in my life, as I was open to receiving your goodness.  Mamie - your strong Christian values - from taking me to hear Billy Graham to First Baptist in Columbia, and Mama to always loving Shandon Methodist and trusting me to walk to church often.  

Linda Dennis, December 4, 2021






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going off the grid ..sorta - hope to be back the end of March..

Now off the Grid...day 3 and 3506 words written

Two trips to the Grocery Store